Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Serving Phoenix Seniors
Compassionate Advocates for Arizona Elder Abuse Victims
By 2030, the baby boomer generation will be over 65-years-old. 1 in 5 Arizona residents will be of retirement age, outnumbering children by over a million. As more older adults shift toward living in care facilities and retirement homes, awareness of elder abuse claims is also growing. Families should be able to trust care providers to protect their older relatives.
Elder abuse can take place at nursing homes, outpatient facilities, retirement communities, or adult day-treatment care centers. According to some reports, 44% of surveyed nursing home residents have experienced abuse in some form. State regulators can often miss the subtler signs of abuse, leaving seniors at risk, with the rates of nursing home abuse potentially as high as 1 in 6 residents. Elder abuse attorneys work with families to bring attention to these cases, too many of which go unreported.
Knowing this, the nursing home abuse lawyers at Bellah Perez provide special attention to elder abuse personal injury claims, working to ensure Phoenix senior living facilities are a safe environment for the aging population. We have represented the elderly and their families in numerous cases throughout the Phoenix Metro Area.
What are the Categories of Nursing Home Abuse?
Harmful environments for senior adults can include many forms of abuse, including:
- Neglect — Inadequate nutrition, sanitation, and hygiene are the most common forms of nursing home neglect, often due to lack of staff and resources.Infections as a result of pressure ulcer (bed sores) are unfortunately common cases.
- Physical and sexual abuse — Hitting, use of restraints, and sexual exploitation and action without consent are severe forms of senior citizen abuse that can nonetheless be hard to detect, especially if staff or perpetrators conceal traces.
- Emotional and psychological abuse — Verbal insults, threats, and manipulation can cause anxiety, depression, and physical health problems in elderly patients.
- Financial abuse — Exploiting nursing home residents’ finances can include identity theft, fraud, stealing, and changes to important documents, such as final wills.
In some of these cases, warning signs are difficult to spot. Red flags to look for in your elderly loved one include changes in behavior, unexplained injuries, weight loss, altered personality, and sudden modifications to financial plans. Red flags in staff include restricting access to your loved one, refusal to allow the patient to be left alone without caregiver supervision, and other controlling behaviors.
If you come across any of these warning signs, don’t delay in investigating. A nursing home abuse lawyer can examine your case and determine if you’re eligible for compensation.
What Can I Do for My Abused Family Member?
If you bring us a nursing home case and the evidence supports your claim, the elder abuse attorneys at Bellah Perez will work tirelessly to provide you and your loved ones with the compensation you deserve for this appalling crime. We promise to hold responsible any perpetrators of neglect and abuse against Arizona senior citizens, both to receive justice for the victims and to prevent further abuse to other residents.
Our personal injury attorneys can recover damages for:
- Medical bills, including diagnostic tests, doctor visits, and prescriptions
- Physical or psychological therapy
- Equipment such as wheelchairs or walkers
- Medication costs
- Lost personal property
- Legal fees
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
Our Retirement Home Abuse Attorneys Can Help
To prove your case, our lawyers will work side-by-side with you to gather evidence to support your claim, demonstrate negligence and abuse, and highlight how the facility failed in their duty to care for your elderly loved one. We won’t stand by and let this kind of treatment continue, and will pursue the highest compensation possible.